Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Year in Review - the Top Ten Albums of 2007

10. Tegan and Sara - The Con
(release date: 7.24.07)
The Con is a step up from Tegan and Sara's previous cd, So Jealous. Smart lyrics, harmonies between the two sisters' distinct voices, and mix of acoustic and experimental songs give The Con a diversity previously unattainable by Tegan and Sara.
Memorable tracks: Like O, Like H, Soil Soil, Are You Ten Years Ago, Back In Your Head


9. The Rocket Summer - Do You Feel
(release date: 7.17.07)
The self-deemed soundtrack of the summer. The lead track "So Much Love" is reminiscent of sunshine and sand. Every song is upbeat and has a positive vibe with a catchy melody. One of those CDs you can play the whole way through and sing along to every track.
Memorable tracks: So Much Love, Break it Out, All I Have, High Life Scenery


8. Mayday Parade - A Lesson in Romantics
(release date: 7.10.07)
I first heard Mayday's EP, Tales Told By Dead Friends, last summer and was not initially impressed. When listening to Romantics, I could instantly hear the band's improvement. "When I Get Home, You're So Dead" was easily the best off the EP, and I was pleased they rerecorded it for the CD - it still remains my favorite. I saw their set this summer on the Vans Warped tour, and my love expounded. Big choruses and chugging guitars - I'm always moving around to the Mayday CD.
Memorable tracks: When I Get Home You're So Dead, Black Cat, Jersey, Jamie All Over


7. The Academy Is... - Santi
(release date: 4.3.07)
I'm in love with the Academy's breakout disc Almost Here, and I was throughly excited this year for new TAI music. The songs that had leaked, "We've Got a Big Mess On Our Hands" and "LAX to O Hare" only heightened the excitement. I first grew appreciation for Santi after seeing TAI on the 2007 Honda Civic Tour and getting the opportunity to meet the band. "Neighbors" is my favorite song of the summer and the best track on the CD. TAI would be higher on this list if I didn't turn the CD off after track 8. Starts strong, but not memorable altogether - better individual tracks than a cohesive whole.
Memorable tracks: Neighbors, We've Got a Big Mess On Our Hands, LAX to O Hare, Sleeping With Giants


6. Timbaland - Shock Value
(release date: 4.3.07)
I first grew interest in the CD because of the Fall Out Boy collaboration track, One and Only. Then, I saw three Justin Timberlake tracks, and nearly lost it. Turns out, the entire CD is amazing and a hit. Every track released from this album turns to gold and blows up on the radio. I love the experiments with different beats, melodies and collaborations, even mixing with a few rock bands. My favorite hip-hop CD, ever.
Memorable tracks: One and Only, Way I Are, Apologize, Throw It On Me


5. Metro Station - Metro Station
(release date: 9.18.07)
I remember getting this cd before even hearing a single song from the band, just because of the hype around it. From the first track, I loved it. It's another CD I can play all the way through and dance along. I love the up-tempo electronic beats and the mix of singing and spoken vocals. Trace Cyrus definitely steps out of his family's shadow and creates his own individuality and identity. The more I play this album, the more I fall in love.
Memorable tracks: California, Shake It, Kelsey, Disco


4. 1997 - A Better View of the Rising Moon
(release date: 4.17.07)
I hadn't heard of the band 1997 until late May, a month after the CD release. After the first listen through, I immediately played it again - I didn't turn it off the rest of the summer. I love their unique sound - a perfect blend of harmonies; I love the combination of the male and female vocals. Their songs possess that feel-good vibe that is essential for summer.
Memorable tracks: Droppin Dimes, Water's Edge, Garden of Evil, lovelikepoetry


3. Paramore - Riot!
(release date: 6.6.07)
You couldn't turn on the radio this year without hearing Paramore's breakout hit, "Misery Business." This album caught Paramore in a whirlwind and blew them up huge. I loved their first - All We Know Is Falling - and the big, full, sing-at-the-top-of-your-lungs feel to the band. For her age of 18, Hayley is a talented vocalist, out-performing herself on Riot. "Misery Business" was the song this summer. On the whole, the CD isn't as consistent as AWKIF, and a few tracks are quickly forgotten, but the big songs make up for them. Melodic guitars and huge choruses make you wanna just rock out alongside Hayley. Paramore truly made a name for themselves in 2007.
Memorable tracks: Misery Business, crushcrushcrush, Born For This, Fences


2. Cobra Starship - Viva La Cobra!
(release date: 10.23.07)
The best thing about this album is Patrick Stump's amazing production.When their first single "Guilty Pleasure" was released, I knew I could only expect more of the same fun, upbeat melodies on the rest of the CD. Every track has amazing beats, melody, singing - the entire package. It's a sure step up from their debut - this album marks Cobra as a band. Every track is shiny and polished and explosive.
Memorable tracks: Guilty Pleasure, Kiss My Sass, Damn You Look Good and I'm Drunk, Prostitution Is the World's Oldest Profession


1. Fall Out Boy - Infinity on High
(release date - 2.6.07)
This CD has been in the works since summer '06, and when it finally came, it didn't disappoint. Fall Out Boy played with their sound on this album by recording four tracks with famous R&B producer Babyface. IOH broadened FOB's range - Patrick's voice kills and shows that kid's got soul. And yet, the songs still rock like Fall Out Boy. Every song is where it's supposed to be on the CD and a masterpiece in its own right. The absolute best of the year.
Memorable tracks: thnks fr th mmrs, This Aint a Scene, It's an Arms Race, Golden, Bang the Doldrums

No comments: