Friday, January 25, 2008

music anticipations

Looking over new releases of some of my favorite bands, I've realized there's a good amount of new material coming out in the next few months. Especially, I'm looking forward to these:


Matches - A Band In Hope
Release Date: March 18, 2008
Ever since catching the tail-end of their set at the Vans Warped Tour in July, I've fallen deep in love with the Matches. And yes, let's face it, Shawn Harris. The Johnny Depp look-a-like singer creates some of the greatest and most original music I've heard in a long time. His vocals are unique and frankly, the shit, with heartfelt and intriguing lyrics (with music to match).Decomposer is such a wide variety of musical sounds and variations, and with the tracks leaked thus far, us fans can expect the same on their upcoming release. Songs "Yankees in the Chip Shop" and "Wake the Sun" are a new, yet familiar sound for the Matches. Regardless, I'm pissing-pants excited for this album.


The Hush Sound - Goodbye Blues
Release Date: March 18, 2008
Aww, the Hushies. Award for most underrated band ever. Like Vines was musically one of the best albums of 2006 (thank you, Patrick Stump), with unique blends of groove piano rock. Then, for most of 2007 the band was in hibernation, touring here and there, but mostly "in production" and an album fans never thought would come. Well, the time is drawing near, friends. And with the catchy track "Medicine Man" recently released on their myspace, the excitement is mounting. Expect a full return of the Hush Sound when they tour with Panic at the Disco on the Honda Civic Tour this Spring.



Panic At The Disco - Pretty. Odd.
Release Date: March 25, 2008
Which brings me to the disco boys. Oh, boys. We need to have a talk. While I could lecture all night long, I'll keep it brief and say about damn time! My love affair with AFYCSO can't continue on forever (okay, maybe it can. How is it literally the perfect cd?) And then, you go through that weird mountain phase, all growing some sort of facial hair that I'm hesitant to classify as a beard (I'm looking at you, Brendon Urie). Scrap that, start fresh, give us two months of confusing, tiresome online puzzles, to finally reveal Pretty. Odd. and the new HCT Spring Tour. Oh, and somewhere along that way they lose the ! (which, to quote Best Week Ever, implies things have calmed down and are under control now at the disco).

While I support whatever these boys to do, I can't help but have hesitations for this new cd. It's such a transformation, I can't even say it's the same PATD I fell in love with. Where's the synthesizer and articulate digs at catholic virgins, Ross? But, maybe this is okay; after all change is good, and they can't surely do the same thing twice. AFYCSO stands for what it is, and could never be reproduced. With that in mind, I embrace the new sound, and prepare myself for music I've been craving since my first squeal-induced listen to "Lying is the Most Fun...". And for their first purchase after the record does exceedingly well in sales: maybe a pair of scissors?

No comments: