Friday, January 2, 2009

Top Ten Albums of 2008

10. Forgive Durden - Razia's Shadow
Photobucket 
Released: 10/28
I've been excited for this album since the first clip of Brendon leaked on the internet. Overall, I really like the way it turned out, and there's more guest vocals than you can shake a stick at.  
Memorable tracks: Life Is Looking Up, Doctor Doctor, The End And The Beginning  


9. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend 
Photobucket 
Released: 1/29
The perfect CD for summer. A unique sound with a blend of island groove, plus lyrics about collegiate life (who really cares about an oxford comma?) made me love this CD this year.  
memorable tracks: A-Punk, Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa, Oxford Comma


8. The Audition - Champion
Photobucket
Released: 1/22
The first great album of 2008. I listened to it on a whim, not giving it much thought, and it blew me away. So melodic and catchy, the hooks stay in your head all day. Some of my favorite pop-punk songs ever are on this CD. 
Memorable Tracks: Warm Me Up, Hell to Sell, Make It Rain 


7. The Hush Sound - Goodbye Blues
Photobucket 
Released: 3/18 
An album that was long overdue. It's strong throughout, Greta's voice maturing much more since Like Vines. Nothing too over-the-top or ambitious, simply more of the sound I love from them (just more Bob the next time around, thanks). 
Memorable tracks: The Boys Are Too Refined, Honey, Not Your Concern 


6. Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Photobucket 
Released: 6/17 
A stripped-down sound for Coldplay, and sticking to the basics seemed to work. I played this CD almost every night this summer. It's upbeat and mellow at the same time, and I kid you not, I have four versions of "Lost!" on my computer. 
Memorable tracks: Viva la Vida, Lost, Lovers in Japan 


5. Joshua Radin - Simple Times
Photobucket 
Released: 9/30 
So underrated, I didn't even know he was releasing a CD this year until he was streaming it on his website. Still, more of the fantasticness from the man who just might be my soulmate. More up-tempo than We Were Here, and not as resonant in my mind, but still, this is a man that can do no wrong. He is by far my favorite musical discovery of the year.
Memorable tracks: Rather Be With You, Sky, Vegetable Car 


4. The Cab - Whisper War
Photobucket 
Released: 4/29 
A solid, seamless album from these boys. I fell in love with the CD even more after catching them live in August. Just a rocking, popping good time. Every song has this huge anthem feel, and it's all just so catchy. Plus, I've developed quite the crush on Ian Crawford along the way. 
Memorable tracks: One of Those Nights, Bounce, I'll Run, Take My Hand  

3. 3OH!3 - Want
Photobucket 
Released: 7/08
I had a hard time placing this CD on the list, because I love it so hard. My second favorite musical discovery of the year, I had this album on my computer for a long time before I actually listened to it. I remember "Chokechain" coming up on a shuffle one day, and I was grinning so hard I immediately put the CD on for good. These songs still don't get old to me, it's an instant party.  
Memorable tracks: Don't Trust Me, I'm Not Your Boyfriend Baby, Starstrukk  

2. Fall Out Boy - Folie A Deux
Photobucket
Released: 12/16
I didn't even think we were getting a fall out boy album this year, until all those CFOB mixtape shenanigans. Way to be sneaky, boys. Add months of clues here and there and bakery deliveries and an annoying CD delay, and it's finally here. And it's still Fall Out Boy. It doesn't stick with me the same way Cork Tree and Infinity on High did, but it's fluid from track to track and has everything that I love about them jam-packed in each song.
Memorable tracks: Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes, Headfirst Slide into Cooperstown on a Bad Bet, 27, I Don't Care  

1. Panic At The Disco - Pretty. Odd. 
Photobucket 
Released: 3/21 
I was hesitant to admit it, but it's true, I am so in love with this album. There was so much anticipation to hear something new after Fever, and while not everyone embraces the new Beatle-esque sound, I can't deny that I love every song on this CD. Brendon's voice has grown tremendously and the instrumentation on each track is truly superb. It's got fun little diddies and ballads and weird lyrics and everything that's still Panic. Plus, I've got so many great memories tied to this CD, so it truly makes it number one in my mind. 
Memorable Tracks: She's a Handsome Woman, Folkin' Around, Mad As Rabbits, Northern Downpour  

 
Runners Up: Every Avenue, The Matches, The Spill Canvas, Hit The Lights, Forever the Sickest Kids

No comments: